Re: daitch_mokotoff module

From: Dag Lem <dag(at)nimrod(dot)no>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Paul Ramsey <pramsey(at)cleverelephant(dot)ca>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: daitch_mokotoff module
Date: 2023-02-08 14:31:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2023-Jan-17, Dag Lem wrote:
>
>> + * Daitch-Mokotoff Soundex
>> + *
>> + * Copyright (c) 2021 Finance Norway
>> + * Author: Dag Lem <dag(at)nimrod(dot)no>
>
> Hmm, I don't think we accept copyright lines that aren't "PostgreSQL
> Global Development Group". Is it okay to use that, and update the year
> to 2023? (Note that answering "no" very likely means your patch is not
> candidate for inclusion.) Also, we tend not to have "Author:" lines.

You'll have to forgive me for not knowing about this rule:

grep -ER "Copyright.*[0-9]{4}" contrib/ | grep -v PostgreSQL

In any case, I have checked with the copyright owner, and it would be OK
to assign the copyright to "PostgreSQL Global Development Group".

To avoid going back and forth with patches, how do you propose that the
sponsor and the author of the contributed module should be credited?
Woule something like this be acceptable?

/*
* Daitch-Mokotoff Soundex
*
* Copyright (c) 2023, PostgreSQL Global Development Group
*
* This module was sponsored by Finance Norway / Trafikkforsikringsforeningen
* and implemented by Dag Lem <dag(at)nimrod(dot)no>
*

[...]

> We don't keep a separate copyright statement in the file; rather we
> assume that all files are under the PostgreSQL license, which is in the
> COPYRIGHT file at the top of the tree. Changing it thus has the side
> effect that these disclaim notes refer to the University of California
> rather than "the Author". IANAL.

OK, no problem. Note that you will again find counterexamples under
contrib/ (and in some other places):

grep -R "Permission to use" .

> I think we should add SPDX markers to all the files we distribute:
> /* SPDX-License-Identifier: PostgreSQL */
>
> https://spdx.dev/ids/
> https://spdx.org/licenses/PostgreSQL.html

As far as I can tell, this is not included in any file so far, and is
thus better left to decide and implement by someone else.

Best regards

Dag Lem