Re: daitch_mokotoff module

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Dag Lem <dag(at)nimrod(dot)no>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Paul Ramsey <pramsey(at)cleverelephant(dot)ca>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: daitch_mokotoff module
Date: 2023-02-08 20:42:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2/8/23 15:31, Dag Lem wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> writes:
>
>> On 2023-Jan-17, Dag Lem wrote:
>>
>>> + * Daitch-Mokotoff Soundex
>>> + *
>>> + * Copyright (c) 2021 Finance Norway
>>> + * Author: Dag Lem <dag(at)nimrod(dot)no>
>>
>> Hmm, I don't think we accept copyright lines that aren't "PostgreSQL
>> Global Development Group". Is it okay to use that, and update the year
>> to 2023? (Note that answering "no" very likely means your patch is not
>> candidate for inclusion.) Also, we tend not to have "Author:" lines.
>>

> You'll have to forgive me for not knowing about this rule:
>
> grep -ER "Copyright.*[0-9]{4}" contrib/ | grep -v PostgreSQL
>
> In any case, I have checked with the copyright owner, and it would be OK
> to assign the copyright to "PostgreSQL Global Development Group".

I'm not entirely sure what's the rule either, and I'm a committer. My
guess is these cases are either old and/or adding a code that already
existed elsewhere (like some of the double metaphone, for example), or
maybe both. But I'd bet we'd prefer not adding more ...

> To avoid going back and forth with patches, how do you propose that the
> sponsor and the author of the contributed module should be credited?
> Woule something like this be acceptable?

We generally credit contributors in two ways - by mentioning them in the
commit message, and by listing them in the release notes (for individual
features).

> /*
> * Daitch-Mokotoff Soundex
> *
> * Copyright (c) 2023, PostgreSQL Global Development Group
> *
> * This module was sponsored by Finance Norway / Trafikkforsikringsforeningen
> * and implemented by Dag Lem <dag(at)nimrod(dot)no>
> *
>
> [...]
>

>> We don't keep a separate copyright statement in the file; rather we
>> assume that all files are under the PostgreSQL license, which is in the
>> COPYRIGHT file at the top of the tree. Changing it thus has the side
>> effect that these disclaim notes refer to the University of California
>> rather than "the Author". IANAL.
>
> OK, no problem. Note that you will again find counterexamples under
> contrib/ (and in some other places):
>
> grep -R "Permission to use" .
>
>> I think we should add SPDX markers to all the files we distribute:
>> /* SPDX-License-Identifier: PostgreSQL */
>>
>> https://spdx.dev/ids/
>> https://spdx.org/licenses/PostgreSQL.html
>
> As far as I can tell, this is not included in any file so far, and is
> thus better left to decide and implement by someone else.

I don't think Alvaro was suggesting this patch should do that. It was
more a generic comment about what the project as a whole might do.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company