Re: daitch_mokotoff module

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Dag Lem <dag(at)nimrod(dot)no>
Cc: Paul Ramsey <pramsey(at)cleverelephant(dot)ca>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: daitch_mokotoff module
Date: 2023-02-08 09:09:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2023-Jan-17, Dag Lem wrote:

> + * Daitch-Mokotoff Soundex
> + *
> + * Copyright (c) 2021 Finance Norway
> + * Author: Dag Lem <dag(at)nimrod(dot)no>

Hmm, I don't think we accept copyright lines that aren't "PostgreSQL
Global Development Group". Is it okay to use that, and update the year
to 2023? (Note that answering "no" very likely means your patch is not
candidate for inclusion.) Also, we tend not to have "Author:" lines.

> + * Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
> + * documentation for any purpose, without fee, and without a written agreement
> + * is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice and this
> + * paragraph and the following two paragraphs appear in all copies.
> + *
> + * IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR OR DISTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE TO ANY PARTY FOR
> + * DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING
> + * LOST PROFITS, ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE AND ITS
> + * DOCUMENTATION, EVEN IF THE AUTHOR OR DISTRIBUTORS HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE
> + * POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
> + *
> + * THE AUTHOR AND DISTRIBUTORS SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIM ANY WARRANTIES,
> + * INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY
> + * AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE SOFTWARE PROVIDED HEREUNDER IS
> + * ON AN "AS IS" BASIS, AND THE AUTHOR AND DISTRIBUTORS HAS NO OBLIGATIONS TO
> + * PROVIDE MAINTENANCE, SUPPORT, UPDATES, ENHANCEMENTS, OR MODIFICATIONS.

We don't keep a separate copyright statement in the file; rather we
assume that all files are under the PostgreSQL license, which is in the
COPYRIGHT file at the top of the tree. Changing it thus has the side
effect that these disclaim notes refer to the University of California
rather than "the Author". IANAL.

I think we should add SPDX markers to all the files we distribute:
/* SPDX-License-Identifier: PostgreSQL */

https://spdx.dev/ids/
https://spdx.org/licenses/PostgreSQL.html

--
Álvaro Herrera Breisgau, Deutschland — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"Tiene valor aquel que admite que es un cobarde" (Fernandel)