Re: Overhauling GUCS

From: Rainer Bauer <usenet(at)munnin(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Overhauling GUCS
Date: 2008-06-04 23:23:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Pavel Stehule" wrote:

>2008/6/4 David E. Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>:
>>
>> Exactly. The issue is that application developers, who are not DBAs, have no
>> idea how to tune PostgreSQL, and postgresql.conf is daunting and confusing.
>> So they use a different database that's "faster".
>
>do you thing, so any better config can help? It's not possible. And
>you can't tune database without well knowledge of applications that
>use database. Any automatic tools are joy for child. But some default
>PostgreSQL parameters are not optimal.

I think it would be an enourmous help for beginners if they had a "simple"
tuning tool which would tell them which values where altered (and possibly
why) from Postgres' default settings based on some basic information.
Like:
- machine hardware (disk layout, OS, installed memory, etc.)
- application usage (no. of clients, read/write activity, etc)

I don't think that such a tool could tune the database perfectly (or even very
good), but at least people new to Postgres would know where to start looking
for tuning it to their needs.

And I am not speaking about end users running an application that uses
Postgres. I talk about application developers like me that port their
application to use Postgres.

Rainer