Re: Overhauling GUCS

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Overhauling GUCS
Date: 2008-06-05 00:02:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> * Can we present the config options in a more helpful way (this is 99%
> a documentation problem, not a code problem)?
>
> * Can we build a "configuration wizard" to tell newbies what settings
> they need to tweak?

It's certainly one thing to create an initial postgresql.conf from
scratch after some inquiry, but a different level of problems to deal
with when offering to change the settings. IMHO initial creation isn't
enough, users will feel even more left alone if there are no tools
helping them further. I guess most users will start tweaking after the
server is already running for a while, with some config already in place.
That's when file format and/or APIs come into play. Preserving comments
and/or using them in a wizard isn't too easy with the current format.

Regards,
Andreas