Re: Overhauling GUCS

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Rainer Bauer <usenet(at)munnin(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Overhauling GUCS
Date: 2008-06-05 15:18:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 01:23:53AM +0200, Rainer Bauer wrote:
> I think it would be an enourmous help for beginners if they had a "simple"
> tuning tool which would tell them which values where altered (and possibly
> why) from Postgres' default settings based on some basic information.
> Like:
> - machine hardware (disk layout, OS, installed memory, etc.)
> - application usage (no. of clients, read/write activity, etc)

It would be possible to make a program that worked like:
# pg_autotune
Detected 4GB memory, 2.3GB free
Measured random_page_cost=2.3
Select expected usage: (d)edicated, (n)ormal, (t)iny
Shared_buffers 64MB
Configuration stored to /etc/postgresql/8.3/postgresql.conf
#

This would probably solve most issues.

Have a nice day,