Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 Feature List?

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 Feature List?
Date: 2004-08-14 19:47:41
Lists: pgsql-general

Oops! rwelty(at)averillpark(dot)net (Richard Welty) was seen spray-painting on a wall:
> "Does Not Taunt The Garbage Collector."

That is the nicest way I have ever seen of characterizing abuses of
system features.

In Java, GC is something people are prone to "Taunt."

In C, there's _something_ surrounding malloc() that often gets
"taunted;" I'm not certain how to characterize it.

In Lisp, the _other_ two things that get "taunted" by bad programmers
are:
a) Recursion (when they think that's the _only_ way to go) and
b) Doing _way_ too much list manipulation using c[ad]+r.

In Forth, the "taunting" of the system tends to come if your code does
more stack manipulation than "real work."

There's a tendancy for these misuses to lead to code being less
readable, to boot...
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "cbbrowne.com")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/linuxxian.html