Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 Feature List?

From: Richard Welty <rwelty(at)averillpark(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 Feature List?
Date: 2004-08-14 21:15:40
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 15:47:41 -0400 Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org> wrote:

> Oops! rwelty(at)averillpark(dot)net (Richard Welty) was seen spray-painting on a wall:
> > "Does Not Taunt The Garbage Collector."

> That is the nicest way I have ever seen of characterizing abuses of
> system features.

i was just wondering how many people would remember "Do Not
Taunt Happy Fun Ball".

> In Java, GC is something people are prone to "Taunt."

yes, intentionally or otherwise.

> In C, there's something surrounding malloc() that often gets
> "taunted;" I'm not certain how to characterize it.

> In Lisp, the other two things that get "taunted" by bad programmers
> are:
> a) Recursion (when they think that's the only way to go) and
> b) Doing way too much list manipulation using c[ad]+r.

as a rule of thumb, in GC situations, if you have a choice between
creating one large object or numerous small ones, one large object
will be more efficiently collected and reused. this is why in lisp,
rather than consing up a list, if you can reasonably use an array,
that's what you should do. the principle applies in general to any
programming environment.

> There's a tendancy for these misuses to lead to code being less
> readable, to boot...

there is a wacky subculture in programming of folks who think
that obscure code is somehow "better".

richard
--
Richard Welty rwelty(at)averillpark(dot)net
Averill Park Networking 518-573-7592