Re: php as stored procedures

From: Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: php as stored procedures
Date: 2001-01-31 17:15:49
Lists: pgsql-general

mwaples(at)waples(dot)net writes:

> I was reading
> http://www.linuxworld.com.au/article.php3?aid=123&tid=8
> and specifically
> "Later in 2001 this flexibility may extend even within the MySQL
> database server, with PHP scripts used as stored procedures within MySQL
> database"
> I won't hold my breath for that to happen in 2001 knowing MYsql's many
> promised future features but it got me wondering
>
> Since there is pl/perl is it all remotely possible that a pl/php could
> be implemented ?

Well, in software, you can do pretty much anything with enough
hacking, so it's definitely possible.

As for whether it will be done, well, what does PHP give you over
Perl? I know Perl well and PHP AFAICS is a tiny subset of Perl
designed to be embedded in web pages. Given PL/Perl, do we really
need PL/PHP?

If someone (you?) think's it's important it'll probably get written.

-Doug