Re: php as stored procedures

From: mwaples(at)waples(dot)net
To: Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>
Subject: Re: php as stored procedures
Date: 2001-01-31 17:14:01
Lists: pgsql-general

Doug McNaught wrote:

> mwaples(at)waples(dot)net writes:
>
> > I was reading
> > http://www.linuxworld.com.au/article.php3?aid=123&tid=8
> > and specifically
> > "Later in 2001 this flexibility may extend even within the MySQL
> > database server, with PHP scripts used as stored procedures within MySQL
> > database"
> > I won't hold my breath for that to happen in 2001 knowing MYsql's many
> > promised future features but it got me wondering
> >
> > Since there is pl/perl is it all remotely possible that a pl/php could
> > be implemented ?
>
> Well, in software, you can do pretty much anything with enough
> hacking, so it's definitely possible.
>
> As for whether it will be done, well, what does PHP give you over
> Perl? I know Perl well and PHP AFAICS is a tiny subset of Perl
> designed to be embedded in web pages. Given PL/Perl, do we really
> need PL/PHP?
>
> If someone (you?) think's it's important it'll probably get written.
>
> -Doug

PHP probably gives not a lot over perl except for its ease of learning -
I know php reasonably well but have been too lazy to learn perl as yet.
PHP can be used for stuff like shell scripting - which I use it for
quite a bit. It's just that its got a very big and growing user
base(plus tons of crappy php scripts) to go with it. It's more of a wish
than anything and would make postgresql a bit more attractive to php
users.
I know a lot of people probably think php isn't for real programmers and
this would be a waste of time - but look at the boost MYsql got from
every man and his dog using php/mysql on web sites.

If I could help to do it I would but its way beyond my skills.