Re: php as stored procedures

From: Adam Haberlach <adam(at)newsnipple(dot)com>
To: Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: php as stored procedures
Date: 2001-01-31 21:39:18
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 12:15:49PM -0500, Doug McNaught wrote:
> mwaples(at)waples(dot)net writes:
>
> > I was reading
> > http://www.linuxworld.com.au/article.php3?aid=123&tid=8
> > and specifically
> > "Later in 2001 this flexibility may extend even within the MySQL
> > database server, with PHP scripts used as stored procedures within MySQL
> > database"
> > I won't hold my breath for that to happen in 2001 knowing MYsql's many
> > promised future features but it got me wondering
> >
> > Since there is pl/perl is it all remotely possible that a pl/php could
> > be implemented ?
>
> Well, in software, you can do pretty much anything with enough
> hacking, so it's definitely possible.
>
> As for whether it will be done, well, what does PHP give you over
> Perl? I know Perl well and PHP AFAICS is a tiny subset of Perl
> designed to be embedded in web pages. Given PL/Perl, do we really
> need PL/PHP?

Given PL/pgsql do we really need PL/Perl?

PHP is by no means a subset of perl, nor tiny.

I've been using PHP for some stuff lately, and it reads like a cross
between C and Perl, with some other interesting behaviors. It is very
un-perl-like, unless you write your perl like C. I've found that it is
handy for small projects, but they tend to get pretty hairy as soon as
you put more then two engineers on them, since there is really no type
checking involved. Perl has some of these issues as well, but with many
more options for "creative syntax." I've not used PL/Perl, but I would
expect that PL/PHP would be no more or less useful.

I've had a few encounters with the internals of Zend, the interpreter
engine upon which PHP is based, and it seems pretty well done. If anything,
it might be interesting to adopt some of the ideas of PHP and create our
own language or sub-PHP. I am, however, in no way volunteering for such
a project.

--
Adam Haberlach |A cat spends her life conflicted between a
adam(at)newsnipple(dot)com |deep, passionate, and profound desire for