Re: [HACKERS] missing mugshots

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com (Vince Vielhaber)
Cc: wieck(at)debis(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] missing mugshots
Date: 1999-10-30 23:35:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> Must have been a long time ago. Can I just do a cvs release or
> something like that? I do all my work on hub.

I don't know about such a command. And the real problem seems
to me that there are multiple maintainers that treat it
differently.

The content provided on the net should NOT be a checked out
working copy. Any maintainter of the files should have it's
own checkout local, ideally at a location where a web server
can present it (like an apache virtual host). The files on
the web site should be updated automatically by CVS rules at
commit time.

In this setup, one could test changes local until anything is
O.K. and do a commit that automatically presents all the
changes at once to the world.

An advance is, that if you want to do heavy modifications to
a couple of files, you could do a

cvs admin -l <file> [...]

and be sure, noone else can do a commit until you're done.
Well, another user could explicitly break the lock with
another "cvs admin -l", but then you, as the original locker,
are notified via mail about it. If you ensure that there is
at least a little modification in the locked file (adding a
space somewhere immediately after locking it), you are sure
that the next commit will checkin a new revision. At this
time, the lock implicitly is done and the file is unlocked
again. Otherwise you must do an explicit

cvs admin -u <file> [...]

to release the lock with no changes made. And that bears the
risk of forgetting locks.

I'll play around a little with CVS rules (don't know exactly
how to set them up but I know that they exist). Will tell you
later if this is something worth to try.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #