Re: [HACKERS] missing mugshots

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: (Jan Wieck) <wieck(at)debis(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] missing mugshots
Date: 1999-10-31 00:19:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 31-Oct-99 Jan Wieck wrote:
> Vince Vielhaber wrote:
>
>> Must have been a long time ago. Can I just do a cvs release or
>> something like that? I do all my work on hub.
>
> I don't know about such a command. And the real problem seems
> to me that there are multiple maintainers that treat it
> differently.
>
> The content provided on the net should NOT be a checked out
> working copy. Any maintainter of the files should have it's
> own checkout local, ideally at a location where a web server
> can present it (like an apache virtual host). The files on
> the web site should be updated automatically by CVS rules at
> commit time.
>
> In this setup, one could test changes local until anything is
> O.K. and do a commit that automatically presents all the
> changes at once to the world.
>
> An advance is, that if you want to do heavy modifications to
> a couple of files, you could do a
>
> cvs admin -l <file> [...]
>
> and be sure, noone else can do a commit until you're done.
> Well, another user could explicitly break the lock with
> another "cvs admin -l", but then you, as the original locker,
> are notified via mail about it. If you ensure that there is
> at least a little modification in the locked file (adding a
> space somewhere immediately after locking it), you are sure
> that the next commit will checkin a new revision. At this
> time, the lock implicitly is done and the file is unlocked
> again. Otherwise you must do an explicit
>
> cvs admin -u <file> [...]
>
> to release the lock with no changes made. And that bears the
> risk of forgetting locks.
>
> I'll play around a little with CVS rules (don't know exactly
> how to set them up but I know that they exist). Will tell you
> later if this is something worth to try.

Congrats Jan. You lost me. AFAIK that's how the website works - at least
as long as I've been maintaining it. The thing that's not maintained that
way is the news and announcements which I maintain via a web based tool.
Bruce and Tom (Lockhart) maintain the docs pages. Or am I missing something
totally obvious?

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com flame-mail: /dev/null
# include <std/disclaimers.h> Have you seen http://www.pop4.net?
Online Campground Directory http://www.camping-usa.com
Online Giftshop Superstore http://www.cloudninegifts.com