Re: [GENERAL] Should I run regression tests?

From: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)oumail(dot)openu(dot)ac(dot)il>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Should I run regression tests?
Date: 1998-06-08 07:44:42
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

At 7:29 +0300 on 8/6/98, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> and we think this because? its always confused me as to why an
> end-user would generally have to run regression tests on "supported and
> tested platforms". I can understand us, as developers, doing it prior to
> a release, and I can understand someone doing it on an 'untested'
> platform...but anything on a supported/tested platform should be caught
> by us, the developers, before the end-users see the software...
>
> Now, if we can get the regression tests to pass 100% on all
> platforms, the point becomes moot, but, IMHO, all it does is causes/adds
> more confusion to the end user then required... :(

May I protest, please?

What exactly is a supported/tested platform? Timezone differences make some
of the failures, and I think it's important that we recognise them and know
that we have a timezone problem. Also, have you really tested the system on
all available systems? I saw it compiled for solaris 2.6. Has it been
tested for 2.5? Library differences, a slightly different installation
procedure, and the regression test points you, at least, in the right
direction to ask questions. After all, unix is the administrator's
creation, and he/she may decide to move things around. The regression tests
tell him if one of his inventions are a bit overboard.

End users which merely use the database should not be concerned with such
things, but if we are to run the system in a serious environment, my system
admin wants to be sure that postgres works *here*.

Herouth

--
Herouth Maoz, Internet developer.
http://telem.openu.ac.il/~herutma