Re: [GENERAL] Should I run regression tests?

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)oumail(dot)openu(dot)ac(dot)il>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Should I run regression tests?
Date: 1998-06-08 11:40:30
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Moved to pgsql-hackers...

On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Herouth Maoz wrote:

> May I protest, please?

Of course you can...

> What exactly is a supported/tested platform?

We have a list of platforms that are tested prior to each
release...

> Timezone differences make some
> of the failures, and I think it's important that we recognise them and know
> that we have a timezone problem. Also, have you really tested the system on
> all available systems? I saw it compiled for solaris 2.6. Has it been
> tested for 2.5?

Solaris 2.6, 2.5.1 and SunOS 4.1.x were tested for last release by
two ppl (myself included)

> End users which merely use the database should not be concerned with such
> things, but if we are to run the system in a serious environment, my system
> admin wants to be sure that postgres works *here*.

We aren't removing the regression tests, we are just removing the
comment that we strongly encourage ppl to run them...we have yet to have
an end-user report a problem with the regression tests that was something
that was actually a 'bug'...