Re: [GENERAL] Should I run regression tests?

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: jwlo(at)ms11(dot)hinet(dot)net, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Should I run regression tests?
Date: 1998-06-08 04:29:39
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > To be honest, the only ppl that should be required to run
> > regression tests are those that are developing and preparing for
> > releases...for someone installing, they don't really give a warm fuzzy
> > feeling due to the discrepencies that the various platforms show that we
> > consider to be "normal" :(
>
> But INSTALL says:
>
> 18) If you wish to skip the regression tests then skip to step 21.
> However, we think skipping the tests is a BAD idea!

and we think this because? its always confused me as to why an
end-user would generally have to run regression tests on "supported and
tested platforms". I can understand us, as developers, doing it prior to
a release, and I can understand someone doing it on an 'untested'
platform...but anything on a supported/tested platform should be caught
by us, the developers, before the end-users see the software...

Now, if we can get the regression tests to pass 100% on all
platforms, the point becomes moot, but, IMHO, all it does is causes/adds
more confusion to the end user then required... :(

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org