Re: Transform for pl/perl

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nikita Glukhov <n(dot)gluhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Transform for pl/perl
Date: 2018-05-18 02:30:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 5/17/18 17:11, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> This is still listed as an open item, though the patch proposed by Peter
> upthread has been committed. If I understand correctly, ilmari was
> going to propose another patch. Or is the right course of action to set
> the open item as resolved?

The items that are still open from the original email are:

2) jsonb scalar values are passed to the plperl function wrapped in not
one, but _two_ layers of references

3) jsonb numeric values are passed as perl's NV (floating point) type,
losing precision if they're integers that would fit in an IV or UV.

#2 appears to be a quality of implementation issue without any
user-visible effects.

#3 is an opportunity for future improvement, but works as intended right
now.

I think patches for these issues could still be considered during beta,
but they are not release blockers IMO.