Re: Transform for pl/perl

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nikita Glukhov <n(dot)gluhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Transform for pl/perl
Date: 2018-06-06 16:14:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2018-May-17, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> The items that are still open from the original email are:
>
> 2) jsonb scalar values are passed to the plperl function wrapped in not
> one, but _two_ layers of references
>
> 3) jsonb numeric values are passed as perl's NV (floating point) type,
> losing precision if they're integers that would fit in an IV or UV.
>
> #2 appears to be a quality of implementation issue without any
> user-visible effects.
>
> #3 is an opportunity for future improvement, but works as intended right
> now.
>
> I think patches for these issues could still be considered during beta,
> but they are not release blockers IMO.

It appears to me that item #2 definitely would need to be fixed before
release, so that it doesn't become a backwards-incompatibility later on.

I'm not sure I agree that #3 is just a future feature. If you have
functions working with jsonb numeric giving exact results, and later
enable transforms for plperl, then your function starts giving inexact
results? Maybe I misunderstand the issue but this doesn't sound great.

Anyway, please let's move this forward. Peter, you own this item.
Anthony and ilmari, if you can help by providing a patch, I'm sure
that'll be appreciated.