Re: More business with $Test::Builder::Level in the TAP tests

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: More business with $Test::Builder::Level in the TAP tests
Date: 2021-10-06 11:33:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 10/6/21 2:28 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Following up with Peter E's recent commit 73aa5e0 to add some
> forgotten level incrementations, I got to look again at what I did
> wrong and why this stuff is useful.
>
> I have gone through all the TAP tests and any code paths using
> subroutines, to note that we could improve the locations of the
> reports we get by adding more $Test::Builder::Level. The context is
> important, as some code paths use rather-long routines and also
> argument values that allow to track easily which test path is being
> taken (like pg_rewind), so there is no need to add anything in such
> places. The attached patch adds incrementations for the tests where
> the debugging becomes much easier if there is a failure.
>
> Thoughts?

We should probably state a requirement for this somewhere. Maybe in
src/test/perl/README. AIUI, the general rule is that any subroutine that
directly or indirectly calls ok() and friends should increase the level.
Such subroutines that don't increase it should probably contain a
comment stating why, so we can know in future that it's not just an
oversight.

cheers

andrew

--