Re: psql: Add role's membership options to the \du+ command

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Luzanov <p(dot)luzanov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Zhang <david(dot)zhang(at)highgo(dot)ca>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, rmt(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql: Add role's membership options to the \du+ command
Date: 2023-05-03 16:30:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 5/3/23 12:25 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> "David G. Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> On Wed, May 3, 2023 at 9:00 AM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
>> wrote:
>>> I don't see why this is an open item as this feature was not committed
>>> for v16. Open items typically revolve around committed features.
>
>> The argument is that updating the psql \d views to show the newly added
>> options is something that the patch to add those options should have done
>> before being committed.
>
> Yeah, if there is not any convenient way to see that info in psql
> then that seems like a missing part of the feature.

[RMT hat]

OK -- I was rereading the thread again to see if I could glean that
insight. There was a comment buried in the thread with David's opinion
on that front, but no one had +1'd that.

However, if this is for feature completeness, I'll withdraw the closing
of the open item, but would strongly suggest we complete it in time for
Beta 1.

[Personal hat]

Looking at Pavel's latest patch, I do find the output easy to
understand, though do we need to explicitly list "empty" if there are no
membership permissions?

Thanks,

Jonathan