Re: Remote Connection

From: Andrew Gould <andrewlylegould(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bob Pawley <rjpawley(at)shaw(dot)ca>
Cc: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remote Connection
Date: 2009-02-12 23:18:34
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 5:04 PM, Bob Pawley <rjpawley(at)shaw(dot)ca> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've been operating on localhost successfully for some time.
>
> I am now attempting to access a Postgresql 8.3 database installed on one of
> my other computers conneted through a router.
>
> Is this possible?
>
> My first attempts have been with Postgresql Admin.
>
> I changed host to the IP address of the computer and input the other info.
>
> I also ran - listen virtual; on the receiving server.
>
> It hasn't connected successfully. I get the message 'Server not listening'
>
> What else can I do??
>
> Bob

1. Configure pg_hba.conf to allow access from your network, internet,
etc, as appropriate.
2. If you're accessing the database from outside of your network, across
a NAT, ensure that your router forwards port 5432 to your database server.
3. Ensure that port 5432 is not blocked by your firewalls.

Best of luck,

Andrew