Re: Remote Connection

From: Adrian Klaver <aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Bob Pawley" <rjpawley(at)shaw(dot)ca>
Subject: Re: Remote Connection
Date: 2009-02-12 23:17:59
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thursday 12 February 2009 3:04:54 pm Bob Pawley wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've been operating on localhost successfully for some time.
>
> I am now attempting to access a Postgresql 8.3 database installed on one of
> my other computers conneted through a router.
>
> Is this possible?
>
> My first attempts have been with Postgresql Admin.
>
> I changed host to the IP address of the computer and input the other info.
>
> I also ran - listen virtual; on the receiving server.
>
> It hasn't connected successfully. I get the message 'Server not listening'
>
> What else can I do??
>
> Bob

First what is listen_addresses in postgres.conf set to?

From the postgres file:
listen_addresses = '*' # what IP address(es) to listen on;
# comma-separated list of addresses;
# defaults to 'localhost', '*' = all
# (change requires restart)

Second did you set up pg_hba.conf to allow connections from outside?

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net