Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Date: 2023-01-21 13:26:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2023-01-20 Fr 13:19, Tom Lane wrote:
>> On 2023-01-20 12:09:05 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> The core problem here is that requiring that would translate to
>>> requiring every code contributor to have a working copy of pg_bsd_indent.
>> Wouldn't just every committer suffice?
> Not if we have cfbot complaining about it.
>
> (Another problem here is that there's a sizable subset of committers
> who clearly just don't care, and I'm not sure we can convince them to.)

I think we could do better with some automation tooling for committers
here. One low-risk and simple change would be to provide a
non-destructive mode for pgindent that would show you the changes if any
it would make. That could be worked into a git pre-commit hook that
committers could deploy. I can testify to the usefulness of such hooks -
I have one that while not perfect has saved me on at least two occasions
from forgetting to bump the catalog version.

I'll take a look at fleshing this out, for my own if no-one else's use.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan