Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Date: 2023-01-21 15:00:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2023-01-21 Sa 08:26, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> On 2023-01-20 Fr 13:19, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> writes:
>>> Wouldn't just every committer suffice?
>> Not if we have cfbot complaining about it.
>>
>> (Another problem here is that there's a sizable subset of committers
>> who clearly just don't care, and I'm not sure we can convince them to.)
>
> I think we could do better with some automation tooling for committers
> here. One low-risk and simple change would be to provide a
> non-destructive mode for pgindent that would show you the changes if any
> it would make. That could be worked into a git pre-commit hook that
> committers could deploy. I can testify to the usefulness of such hooks -
> I have one that while not perfect has saved me on at least two occasions
> from forgetting to bump the catalog version.
>
> I'll take a look at fleshing this out, for my own if no-one else's use.

Here's a quick patch for this. I have it in mind to use like this in a
pre-commit hook:

# only do this on master
test `git rev-parse --abbrev-ref HEAD` = "master" || exit 0

src/tools/pgindent/pg_indent --silent `git diff --cached --name-only` || \

  { echo "Need a pgindent run" >&2 ; exit 1; }

The committer could then run

src/tools/pgindent/pg_indent --show-diff `git diff --cached --name-only`

to see what changes it thinks are needed.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan