Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Jelte Fennema <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Jesse Zhang <sbjesse(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Date: 2023-01-20 18:19:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2023-01-20 12:09:05 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> The core problem here is that requiring that would translate to
>> requiring every code contributor to have a working copy of pg_bsd_indent.

> Wouldn't just every committer suffice?

Not if we have cfbot complaining about it.

(Another problem here is that there's a sizable subset of committers
who clearly just don't care, and I'm not sure we can convince them to.)

>> Yeah, if we switched to some other tool maybe we could reduce the size
>> of that problem. But as Bruce replied, we've not found another one that
>> (a) can be coaxed to make output comparable to what we're accustomed to
>> and (b) seems decently well maintained.

> One question around this is how much change we'd accept. clang-format for
> example is well maintained and can get somewhat close to our style - but
> there are things that can't easily be approximated.

If somebody wants to invest the effort in seeing how close we can get
and what the remaining delta would look like, we could have a discussion
about whether it's an acceptable change. I don't think anyone has
tried with clang-format.