Re: PostgreSQL driver for Joomla review

From: Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL driver for Joomla review
Date: 2009-10-20 14:02:18
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-php

2009/10/20 Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>:
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 8:02 AM, Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> If anyone has a moment, could they review the PostgreSQL driver I
>> wrote for Joomla's next major release?  The developers at Joomla have
>> listened to the persistent noise created about only having MySQL as an
>> option and are now accepting submissions for alternative database
>> systems. (see http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-cms/browse_thread/thread/1382dc6f4af56278#msg_9b95648941ef6fa7
>> for this development)
>>
>> My submission can be found at:
>> http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla/tracker/?action=TrackerItemEdit&tracker_item_id=18384
>>
>> Things to watch out for a version-dependent features and clumsy implementations.
>
> *) why bother with the version check in queryBatch?  why not just do
> begin->commit always?

To be honest, I hadn't touched that function. That's entirely
inherited from the MySQL one, but you're right, for Postgres there's
no need to check the version.

> *) no ability to delete?

The driver has to match that of the MySQL one in Joomla, so I couldn't
implement functionality which wouldn't be used by every driver. The
only thing I added which differed was a concatentation operator which
I put in for future implementation as I believe it will be necessary
if they're going to adapt the existing codebase to support multiple
database systems.

> *) looks like typo on line 713

Yes, that's just left over from me quickly trying to tidy up my
comments as I couldn't get the proper version from the site. Please
ignore it as it isn't in my actual submission.

Thanks Merlin!

Thom