multi-company design/structure ?

From: John <jfabiani(at)yolo(dot)com>
Subject: multi-company design/structure ?
Date: 2009-10-20 13:50:25
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

Is it better to create multi databases or create multi schemas?

I am writing a program that can have multi instances. Sort like a finanical
accounting system that can have multiable companies. Where each company has a
different name but the tables are an exact match to each other. IOW the only
difference between the company tables is the data that each instance
contains.

I believe that if I use multi-schemas within one database it will be easier to
retrieve data from other schemas. But what if the data has to be on
different computers (or multi locations) - is it true I have to insure all
the schemas are in the same data location? Or can the schemas be on
different computers.

Anyway I'd like to hear from the list opinion as to the best way to design
this structure.

Also I believe the database/s will be run on Linux.

Thanks in advance,

Johnf