Re: Crash report for some ICU-52 (debian8) COLLATE and work_mem values

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Crash report for some ICU-52 (debian8) COLLATE and work_mem values
Date: 2017-08-10 00:45:53
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On 8/7/17 14:42, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 8/7/17 13:51, Tom Lane wrote:
>> At this point I'm thinking that really what we ought to do is deprecate
>> using any pre-53 ICU release for Postgres. It is very clear that those
>> versions are an entirely different beast from 53-and-up, and that they
>> are now abandonware so far as ICU upstream is concerned.
>
> Maybe a note in the documentation to that effect would be useful.
>
> I don't think we should prevent the use of older ICU versions in the
> code. That would probably annoy people who are forced to develop or
> test their applications on older platforms.

I propose the attached patches for fixing the crash. This just disables
the use of the problematic function for versions before ICU 53.

(The 0001 patch is just something I found that was needed while
experimenting with different ICU versions. The 0002 patch is the real fix.)

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Fix-order-of-ICU_CFLAGS.patch text/plain 852 bytes
0002-Reject-use-of-ucol_strcollUTF8-before-ICU-53.patch text/plain 4.8 KB