Re: pgbench logging broken by time logic changes

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Gregory Smith <gregsmithpgsql(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, david(dot)christensen(at)crunchydata(dot)com
Subject: Re: pgbench logging broken by time logic changes
Date: 2021-07-09 05:14:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Thomas,

>>> Isn't it better if we only have to throw away the first one?).
>>
>> This should be the user decision to drop it or not, not the tool
>> producing it, IMO.
>
> Let me try this complaint again. [...]

I understand your point.

For me removing silently the last bucket is not right because the sum of
aggregates does not match the final grand total. This change is
intentional and borders on a bug fix, which is what this patch was doing,
even if it is also a small behavioral change: We should want the detailed
and final reports in agreement.

I do agree that users should probably ignore the first and last lines.

> See attached.

Works for me: patch applies, global and local check ok. I'm fine with it.

If it was me, I'd still show the last bucket, but it does not matter much.

--
Fabien.