Re: psql - add ability to test whether a variable exists

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Robins Tharakan <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql - add ability to test whether a variable exists
Date: 2017-09-20 06:18:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Robins,

Thanks for the review.

> The following review has been posted through the commitfest application:
> make installcheck-world: not tested
> Implements feature: tested, failed

Where ?

> Spec compliant: not tested
> Documentation: tested, failed

Where ? I just regenerated the html doc on the patch without a glitch.

> The patch applies cleanly and compiles + installs fine (although am
> unable to do installcheck-world on my Cygwin setup). This is how the
> patch works on my setup.
>
> $ /opt/postgres/reviewpatch/bin/psql -U postgres -h localhost
> psql (11devel, server 9.6.1)
> Type "help" for help.
>
> postgres=# \set i 1
> postgres=# \if :{?i}
> postgres=# \echo 'testing'
> testing
> postgres=# \endif
> postgres=# \if :{?id}
> postgres(at)# \echo 'testing'
> \echo command ignored; use \endif or Ctrl-C to exit current \if block
> postgres(at)# \endif
> postgres=#

ISTM that this is the expected behavior.

In the first case, "i" is defined, so the test is true and the echo
echoes.

In the second case, "id" is undefined, the test is false and the echo is
skipped.

I do not understand why you conclude that the feature "failed".

--
Fabien.