Re: Partial aggregates pushdown

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Fujii(dot)Yuki(at)df(dot)MitsubishiElectric(dot)co(dot)jp" <Fujii(dot)Yuki(at)df(dot)mitsubishielectric(dot)co(dot)jp>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Alexander Pyhalov <a(dot)pyhalov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Ilya Gladyshev <i(dot)gladyshev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: Partial aggregates pushdown
Date: 2023-04-08 02:34:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Apr 7, 2023 at 09:55:00PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > What I don't want is an error-prone setup where administrators have to
> > remember what the per-server settings are. Based on your suggestion,
> > let's allow CREATE SERVER to have an option 'enable_async_aggregate' (is
> > that the right name?), which defaults to 'true' for _all_ servers, even
> > those that don't support async aggregates.
>
> Uh, what? Why would we not be able to tell from the remote server's
> version number whether it has this ability?

That was covered here:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/ZC95C0%2BPVhVP3iax%40momjian.us

I think we have three possible cases for aggregate pushdown to FDWs:

1) Postgres built-in aggregate functions
2) Postgres user-defined & extension aggregate functions
3) aggregate functions calls to non-PG FDWs

Your patch handles #1 by checking that the FDW Postgres version is the
--> same as the calling Postgres version. However, it doesn't check for
--> extension versions, and frankly, I don't see how we could implement that
--> cleanly without significant complexity.

The issue is not a mismatch of postgres_fdw versions but the extension
versions and whether the partial aggregate functions exist on the remote
side, e.g., something like a PostGIS upgrade.

EDB https://enterprisedb.com

Embrace your flaws. They make you human, rather than perfect,
which you will never be.