Re: longfin missing gssapi_ext.h

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: longfin missing gssapi_ext.h
Date: 2023-04-08 02:34:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greetings,

> > * Tom Lane (tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us) wrote:
> >> It's whatever Apple is shipping, or was shipping last year or so.
>
> > Sadly they've not been maintaining the Kerberos libraries at all on
> > their systems.
>
> Indeed :-(. I wouldn't be surprised if there are security issues in
> their version. Perhaps what we really ought to do is refuse to build
> with their version --- but if so, we need some clearer error message
> about it.

The attached should (I believe?) at least add the needed check for
gssapi_ext.h which will cause builds to fail and complain about the
header being missing from their installation.

I'm certainly open to ideas about how to provide a better error message,
particularly on OSX systems which have an ancient version, to make it
clear that people need to install an updated version. I don't have an
OSX system at hand though.

Should I push this to at least address the header check ... ?

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment Content-Type Size
check_gssapi_ext.h.patch text/x-diff 465 bytes