Re: testclient.exe installed under MSVC

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: pchampion(at)vmware(dot)com, daniel(at)yesql(dot)se, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: testclient.exe installed under MSVC
Date: 2022-05-01 13:23:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, May 01, 2022 at 01:07:06AM -0700, Noah Misch wrote:
> My annual audit for executables missing Windows icons turned up these:
>
> pginstall/bin/testclient.exe
> pginstall/bin/uri-regress.exe
>
> I was going to add the icons, but I felt the testclient.exe name is too
> generic-sounding to be installed. testclient originated in commit ebc8b7d. I
> recommend ceasing to install both programs under MSVC. (The GNU make build
> system does not install them.)

But MSVC works differently. vcregress.pl does a TempInstall(), which
is a simple Install(), so isn't it going to be an issue for the tests
if these two tools are not installed anymore?

> If that's unwanted for some reason, could you
> rename testclient to something like libpq_test?

Yes, the renaming makes sense. I'd say to do more, and also rename
uri-regress, removing the hyphen from the binary name and prefix both
binaries with a "pg_".
--
Michael