Re: testclient.exe installed under MSVC

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: pchampion(at)vmware(dot)com, daniel(at)yesql(dot)se, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: testclient.exe installed under MSVC
Date: 2022-05-04 00:34:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2022-05-01 Su 09:23, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Sun, May 01, 2022 at 01:07:06AM -0700, Noah Misch wrote:
>> My annual audit for executables missing Windows icons turned up these:
>>
>> pginstall/bin/testclient.exe
>> pginstall/bin/uri-regress.exe
>>
>> I was going to add the icons, but I felt the testclient.exe name is too
>> generic-sounding to be installed. testclient originated in commit ebc8b7d. I
>> recommend ceasing to install both programs under MSVC. (The GNU make build
>> system does not install them.)
> But MSVC works differently. vcregress.pl does a TempInstall(), which
> is a simple Install(), so isn't it going to be an issue for the tests
> if these two tools are not installed anymore?
>
>> If that's unwanted for some reason, could you
>> rename testclient to something like libpq_test?
> Yes, the renaming makes sense. I'd say to do more, and also rename
> uri-regress, removing the hyphen from the binary name and prefix both
> binaries with a "pg_".

I've complained before about binaries that are installed under MSVC
where the equivalent are not installed under Unix or msys{2}.

I think we should make the standard MSVC install look as much like the
standard Unix/msys install as possible. If we need a test mode that
installs a few extra things then that can be managed fairly simply I
think. I'm prepared to help out with that.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan