Re: compute_query_id and pg_stat_statements

From: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: compute_query_id and pg_stat_statements
Date: 2021-04-26 15:34:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Re: Peter Eisentraut
> > Agreed. If pg_stat_statements were zero-configuration today then
> > this would be an annoying new burden, but it isn't.
>
> I think people can understand "add pg_stat_statements to
> shared_preload_libraries" and "install the extension". You have to turn it
> on somehow after all.

Fwiw, I'd claim that pg_stat_statements *is* zero-configuration today.
You just have to load the module (= shared_preload_libraries), and it
will start working. Later you can run CREATE EXTENSION to actually see
the stats, but they are already being collected in the background.

> Now there is the additional burden of turning on this weird setting that no
> one understands. That's a 50% increase in burden.
>
> And almost no one will want to use a nondefault setting.
>
> pg_stat_statements is pretty popular. I think leaving in this requirement
> will lead to widespread confusion and complaints.

Ack, please make the default config (i.e. after setting shared_preload_libraries)
do something sensible. Having to enable some "weird" internal other setting
will be very hard to explain to users.

Fwiw, I'd even want to have pg_stat_statements enabled in core by
default. That would awesome UX. (And turning off could be as simple as
setting compute_query_id=off.)

Christoph