Re: [INTERFACES] C++ Builder (Delphi), ODBC and large objects

From: Sergio <ser(at)perio(dot)unlp(dot)edu(dot)ar>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] C++ Builder (Delphi), ODBC and large objects
Date: 1998-10-22 19:50:38
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com> el día Wed, 21 Oct 1998 17:53:13
-0400, escribió:

>Sergio wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I have another problem with lo, I used the new Insight Odbc
>> driver and when I try to use the datapump utility of Borland
>> (Delphi) to migrate paradox tables, when it try to convert
>> memo fields to large objects it gave an error, wich NOT
>> happen with the previous version of the driver.
>> I resolved changing the type of the target field to
>> varchar.
>>

>I haven't had any success figuring out why Borland products can't write
>blobs. Maybe you could send me logfiles of the problems (both sql.log
>and psqlodbc.log).

I don't have this files with me right now.

>> Btw, any plans to support scrollable cursors and ODBC 3
>> from Insight ?
>
>I don't see any real need to support ODBC 3.0. This would be quite an
>involved project for very little gain as far as I can tell. The driver
>manager seems to do a good job of down converting the 3.0 calls to
>2.0. Is there something specific in 3.0 that you need or something?

Well, I have a freeware components (mOdbc) that talk to the odbc
directly bypassing the BDE (because I hate to distribute the BDE)
but it is made for 3.0 drivers, if you want this comps, just tell me.
Btw, I've managed to convince the author to release the source
code :)

>As for scrollable cursors, "static" scrollable cursors are already
>supported. If you want positioned update/delete, the driver can work
>with the odbc cursor library to achieve that. As for dynamic or keyset
>cursors, I had plans to implement a mixed keyset cursor (similar to what
>the Jet engine does), but time is a problem.

The same happen here, all 3 party components want (or work better with)
dynamic scrollable cursors, I'm talking about odbc98
(http://www.odbc98.com) or OdbcExpress (http://www.odbcexpress.com),
but maybe I choose mOdbc.

Cheers,
Sergio