Re: [INTERFACES] Error Message

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Gregory W Burnham" <gburnham(at)sfu(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Error Message
Date: 1998-10-23 01:52:44
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

"Gregory W Burnham" <gburnham(at)sfu(dot)ca> writes:
> I'm getting the error:
> FATAL 1: Socket command type
> But I can't find any referance to it anywhere. This is for an INSERT
> query and the result returned from PQexec is NULL.

This is coming out of src/backend/tcop/postgres.c; it looks like the
backend got a NULL character at the point where it expected to read
the first byte of a new command string from the frontend.

My guess is that the frontend and backend got out of sync. The easiest
way to make that happen is to mess up a COPY IN or COPY OUT sequence,
but it could also be that you have a broken frontend that's sending
garbage.

What frontend software are you using, anyway? And what version?
What were you doing *before* the command on which you noticed the
failure?

regards, tom lane