Re: [INTERFACES] C++ Builder (Delphi), ODBC and large objects

From: Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com>
To: Sergio <ser(at)perio(dot)unlp(dot)edu(dot)ar>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] C++ Builder (Delphi), ODBC and large objects
Date: 1998-10-21 21:53:13
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Sergio wrote:

> Hi,
> I have another problem with lo, I used the new Insight Odbc
> driver and when I try to use the datapump utility of Borland
> (Delphi) to migrate paradox tables, when it try to convert
> memo fields to large objects it gave an error, wich NOT
> happen with the previous version of the driver.
> I resolved changing the type of the target field to
> varchar.

I haven't had any success figuring out why Borland products can't write
blobs. Maybe you could send me logfiles of the problems (both sql.log
and psqlodbc.log).

> Btw, any plans to support scrollable cursors and ODBC 3
> from Insight ?

I don't see any real need to support ODBC 3.0. This would be quite an
involved project for very little gain as far as I can tell. The driver
manager seems to do a good job of down converting the 3.0 calls to
2.0. Is there something specific in 3.0 that you need or something?

As for scrollable cursors, "static" scrollable cursors are already
supported. If you want positioned update/delete, the driver can work
with the odbc cursor library to achieve that. As for dynamic or keyset
cursors, I had plans to implement a mixed keyset cursor (similar to what
the Jet engine does), but time is a problem.

Byron