Re: 7.3.4 freezing

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: MaRCeLO PeReiRA <gandalf_mp(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br>, pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.3.4 freezing
Date: 2004-01-28 20:01:28
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> =?iso-8859-1?q?MaRCeLO=20PeReiRA?= <gandalf_mp(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br> writes:
> > It isn't the case! I can do everything without
> > problem, and without losing performance. The main
> > problem is the postmaster daemon, that die. (really
> > ;-)
>
> That's pretty hard to believe (we've not had a postmaster-crashing bug
> in a long time), and it's even harder to believe that the symptoms would
> be as you describe if it did. if the postmaster wasn't there, psql
> connection attempts would fail immediately with "connection refused" or
> similar messages.

I'm pretty sure, from his first message, what he means is that the
postmaster process is going into some kind of loop (100% CPU) and not
responding, not necessarily dying. I'm reasonably certain English is not
Marcelo's first language, so it's understandable he'd miss the mark on the
meaning of a few words here and there.