Re: Patch to readd documentation

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch to readd documentation
Date: 2004-01-24 06:48:26
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> The attached patch adds the old JDBC documentation, which was lost
> during the move. Along the way I've converted it to XML so it is more
> easily possible to use Java-based XSLT processors in it, which probably
> goes over better around here.
>
> (Eventually, we should support fetching them directly over http and/or
> support XML catalogs.)

I looked around to see how other projects handle this type of thing and it
seemed like a number of them packaged the xsl stylesheets as part
of the package. This provides an easier means of specifying where they
exist and enforces consistency because eveyone is using the same version
of the stylesheet. By also distributing saxon we can make this a zero
step configuration. The price we pay for this is a larger distribution,
but in this case I would simply recommend creating another cvs module
solely for documentation because most people aren't interested in building
the documentation, only reading it (if that).

> You might need to use JDK 1.4 or install additional classes, according
> to the Ant documentation.
>
> If the build process crashes with an error message like this:
>
> .../gentext.xsl:230:57: Error! Variable accessed before it is bound!

I got "org.apache.xml.dtm.DTMException: No more DTM IDs are available",
but the root cause is the same. The xalan transformer shipped with the
1.4 jdk has a number of bugs. I was able to run this sucessfully with the
1.5alpha JDK.

Kris Jurka