Re: Using gettext for JDBC translations

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Using gettext for JDBC translations
Date: 2004-01-23 19:58:14
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Kris Jurka wrote:
> I've been looking into the possibility of using gettext to manage the
> translations for the JDBC driver instead of the more traditional Java
> method of using property files.

You beat me by about 30 minutes to this email. :-) The answer is: Yes!

> b) What should the requirements be for developers, translators, and
> average users who want to compile the driver be?

Developers: require gettext tools or use to-be-created build option to
turn off NLS.

Translators: either like developers or download po files from
http://developer.postgresql.org/~petere/nlsstatus/

Average user: Uses precompiled driver.