Re: OCTET_LENGTH is wrong

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <barry(at)xythos(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: OCTET_LENGTH is wrong
Date: 2001-11-23 21:58:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tatsuo Ishii writes:

> > problems. For instance, I don't know if the convert() function would make
> > sense then. (Does it even make sense now?)
>
> Yes. Consider you have UNICODE database and want to sort by French or
> whatever LATIN locale.
>
> SELECT * FROM t1 ORDER BY convert(text_column,'LATIN1');
>
> would be the only way to accomplish that.

I don't think so. The sort order is independent of the character
encoding, and vice versa. It must be, because

1) One language can be represented in different encodings and should
obviously still sort the same.

2) One encoding can serve for plenty of languages, which all sort
differently.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net