Re: v7.2b3 packaged, but not announced beyond here yet ...

From: Horst Herb <hherb(at)malleenet(dot)net(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: v7.2b3 packaged, but not announced beyond here yet ...
Date: 2001-11-23 23:23:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Saturday 24 November 2001 03:08, Tom Lane wrote:

> In reality, it's extremely questionable that the regression tests
> will tell anything useful to a person who's installing prebuilt
> platform-specific binaries. The builder of the binaries should have
> run the regress tests. So I'm not sure what the point is --- but I am
> sure that this setup will cause a lot more problems than it solves.
> I recommend forgetting about postgresql-test.

Tom,

I have problems interpreting your statement.
I assumed that the purpose of a regression test is to verify that software
is doing what it is supposed to do on the system it as installed.

If I install a binary package, you say that I cannot rely on the
regression test? What does the builder of the package know about the
particularities of my system? How else could I verify the functionality of
the installed software?

Either the regression test is construed in a way that it works with any
installation, or users should be advised NOT to use binary packages at all
and only install in a way that they can verify the installation with the
regression test. How would you think any user would trust his/her
installation in a production environment otherwise?

Did I misunderstand your statement or is my trust in PostgreSQL binary
installations unjustified?

Horst