Re: OCTET_LENGTH is wrong

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, barry(at)xythos(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: OCTET_LENGTH is wrong
Date: 2001-11-24 00:32:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Yes. Consider you have UNICODE database and want to sort by French or
> > whatever LATIN locale.
> >
> > SELECT * FROM t1 ORDER BY convert(text_column,'LATIN1');
> >
> > would be the only way to accomplish that.
>
> I don't think so. The sort order is independent of the character
> encoding, and vice versa. It must be, because
>
> 1) One language can be represented in different encodings and should
> obviously still sort the same.
>
> 2) One encoding can serve for plenty of languages, which all sort
> differently.

I assume you are talking about the concept of SQL92/99's COLLATE
syntax. But I just talked about what we could do in 7.2 which
apprarently does not have the SQL92's COLLATE syntax.

BTW,

> I don't think so. The sort order is independent of the character
> encoding, and vice versa. It must be, because

This seems different from SQL's CREATE COLLATION syntax.
>From SQL99's CREATE COLLATION definition:

CREATE COLLATION <collation name> FOR
<character set specification>
FROM <existing collation name>
[ <pad characteristic> ]

So it seems a collation depends on a character set.
--
Tatsuo Ishii