Re: pgsql/src/interfaces/libpq (Makefile)

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql/src/interfaces/libpq (Makefile)
Date: 2000-10-20 17:43:02
Lists: pgsql-committers

Tom Lane writes:

> Anyway, it seems like "override" does not work the way Peter is
> expecting it to, at least not in my copy of gmake which I believe is
> up-to-date. I seem to recall someone else complaining of this same
> breakage a day or two back, as well.
>
> Is this a make bug, or a make documentation bug, or what?

I'm convinced it's one of the two, but I haven't heard back from
bug-make(at)gnu(dot)org, yet. In any case, the VPATH/CPPFLAGS patch that's
coming up will stick an "override" in front of every C(PP)?FLAGS variable,
which is the right thing to do anyway.

(One might wonder why bother about this: it's because users might try to
run, e.g., "make all CFLAGS=-O99 -mfoo" etc., so you have to forcibly hold
on to the necessary CFLAGS as well. Yeah, I know, COPT -- but who's ever
heard of that?)