Re: pgsql/doc (FAQ_MSWIN INSTALL_MSWIN)

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql/doc (FAQ_MSWIN INSTALL_MSWIN)
Date: 2000-10-20 17:32:59
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Thomas Lockhart writes:

> Hmm. It is a fact that M$Windows is not quite the same as *any* of the
> other boxes we support.

> We currently have a section in the printed/html docs covering installing
> on M$ for client-side libraries, and we should move the installation
> instructions for the server into these docs also.

Note that there's a difference here: Support for a plain-old Windows 95
box with MS Visual C++ compiler is certainly very different. There are
even separate makefiles (project files?) for that.

OTOH, support for Windows NT with Cygwin is not "exceptional" compared to
any other supported system. You run configure; make; make install, with
GNU make and GCC. The only thing this INSTALL_WIN file does is to tell
people where to download Cygwin and cgyipc, which is no more different
than FAQ_Solaris telling people to download GNU packages from
www.sunfreeware.com or FAQ_HPUX advising to download various vendor
patches.