Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] NEW POSTGRESQL LOGOS

From: Bruce Tong <zztong(at)laxmi(dot)ev(dot)net>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Matthew N(dot) Dodd" <winter(at)jurai(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] NEW POSTGRESQL LOGOS
Date: 1998-06-04 19:02:51
Lists: pgsql-general

> I've put this back into pgsq-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, mainly because I
> think ppl are taking me *far* too seriously over this...

Like I said in an earlier part of my note, I'm new to this list and I
don't have a good idea of the ground rules here. I thought it best to go
private, but okay public then. ;)

> PostgreSQL does, and *always* will work with Linux.

Great. Thanks for clearing that up.

> > I have noticed this list has not provided effective support to PostgreSQL
> > beginners - not just myself, but others.
>
> What exactly is "effective support"?

I have noticed a number of seemingly beginning questions go unanswered.
Perhaps they were answered by direct mail. If so, I stand corrected.

> How many ppl actually read the documentation before posting the
> question? Posting is faster, generally, then hoping its in the FAQ or the
> manuals...

I can't answer that, and you know it. In my case, I've read everything I
can find. I just got v6.3.2 so maybe theres a few I haven't found yet. If
I ask a question answered in the docs, please point it out, just don't
ignore the question. I'm happy to do the research.

> Lists are meant to be "self-help"...my general day right now is
> spent, more often then not, scanning through the subjects, reading those
> postings that look like something that I'm a) interested in or b) know the
> answer to. If I see a posting with the subject ODBC in the SQL list, I
> just delete it...its not related and I don't have *that* much time in my
> day.

I understand, and I'm not picking on a specific person here. I know that's
the way it is. Perhaps I'm spoiled by other lists.

> > Finally, since I've already rambled on too much, let me suggest that a
> > logo, or lack of a logo, doesn't significantly influence the adoption of
> > your product. You need to capture the mindshare of the developers who
> > would build on top of your product, which is best done by making our lives
> > easier. At this point, early in my PostgreSQL experience, I would say
> > documentation is your weak suit.
>
> Have you looked at what is included in v6.3.2?

Yes. As I said before, I've read everything I can find. That doesn't mean
it all made sense at first to me or that there aren't holes. This is my
first foray into SQL databases and database administration and I'm certain
I'm missing all sorts of details.

Bruce Tong
Systems Programmer
Electronic Vision / FITNE