Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] NEW POSTGRESQL LOGOS

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Bruce Tong <zztong(at)laxmi(dot)ev(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Matthew N(dot) Dodd" <winter(at)jurai(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] NEW POSTGRESQL LOGOS
Date: 1998-06-04 18:47:03
Lists: pgsql-general

I've put this back into pgsq-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, mainly because I
think ppl are taking me *far* too seriously over this...

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, Bruce Tong wrote:

> If PostgreSQL is not planning to work with Linux, by all means please let
> me know so I can switch back to MySQL without wasting any more time. I
> would prefer to stick with PostgreSQL based on what I have seen thus far.
> Somebody did an excellent job on the postgresql-6.3.2-4 RPM, and
> PostgreSQL is more stable than MySQL, for instance.

PostgreSQL does, and *always* will work with Linux...Thomas
Lockhart is one of the core developers on this project, and is totally
committed to Linux (we've even offered to pay for the therapy treatments,
but he wouldn't budge *rofl*)

Linux users, in general, tend to be the easiest to poke fun at,
most often because they are the fastest to react, and, well, I enjoy it.
I also acknowledge (and have for a long time now) that Linux has provided
some dramatic advances in "the war against MicroSloth"...it has, and
continue to, evolve into viable alternative.

The one thing that I really do dislike about the Linux-camp is
that, as far as software is concerned, they are generally
self-centered...and that "beef" has more to do with the Wine project then
anything. They constantly throw code in that is Linux-centric that breaks
everything for anyone else.

Here, our focus is on stability on *all* the platforms we list as
supported, and as long as someone is using it on that platform, we try to
keep it that way...

> I have noticed this list has not provided effective support to PostgreSQL
> beginners - not just myself, but others.

What exactly is "effective support"? The support on these lists
is that given by other users of the system, there is no any one person
that knows all the answers or has the time to answer all the questions.
There are some questions that are asked over and over again, when if ppl
took the time to read the FAQ, they would see it.

How many ppl actually read the documentation before posting the
question? Posting is faster, generally, then hoping its in the FAQ or the
manuals...

Lists are meant to be "self-help"...my general day right now is
spent, more often then not, scanning through the subjects, reading those
postings that look like something that I'm a) interested in or b) know the
answer to. If I see a posting with the subject ODBC in the SQL list, I
just delete it...its not related and I don't have *that* much time in my
day.

> Finally, since I've already rambled on too much, let me suggest that a
> logo, or lack of a logo, doesn't significantly influence the adoption of
> your product. You need to capture the mindshare of the developers who
> would build on top of your product, which is best done by making our lives
> easier. At this point, early in my PostgreSQL experience, I would say
> documentation is your weak suit.

Have you looked at what is included in v6.3.2?