Re: single task postgresql

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: single task postgresql
Date: 2002-02-27 12:09:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su> writes:
> > Having frustrated with performance on Windows box I'm wondering if it's
> > possible to get postgresql optimized for working without shared memory,
> > say in single-task mode. It looks like it's shared memory emulation on disk
> > (by cygipc daemon) is responsible for performance degradation.
> > In our project we have to use Windows for desktop application and it's
> > single task, so we don't need shared memory. In principle, it's possible
> > to hack cygipc, so it wouldn't emulate shared memory and address calls
> > to normal memory, but I'm wondering if it's possible from postgres side.
>
> As mlw comments, that is probably not really the source of the
> performance issue. However, you should be able to hack it if you

earlier versions of windows doesn't have shared memory and I did see
a file on disk when run postgresql on w98. That's why I suggest it's
a source of performance drop.

> want to check. A standalone backend just malloc()s what would otherwise
> be the shared memory area. As a first approximation you could just fire
> up a standalone backend and see if it seems any faster.

thanks, it works and doesn't need shared memory, only 2 semaphors.
will investigate further.

> regards, tom lane

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83