Re: single task postgresql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: single task postgresql
Date: 2002-02-26 23:43:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su> writes:
> Having frustrated with performance on Windows box I'm wondering if it's
> possible to get postgresql optimized for working without shared memory,
> say in single-task mode. It looks like it's shared memory emulation on disk
> (by cygipc daemon) is responsible for performance degradation.
> In our project we have to use Windows for desktop application and it's
> single task, so we don't need shared memory. In principle, it's possible
> to hack cygipc, so it wouldn't emulate shared memory and address calls
> to normal memory, but I'm wondering if it's possible from postgres side.

As mlw comments, that is probably not really the source of the
performance issue. However, you should be able to hack it if you
want to check. A standalone backend just malloc()s what would otherwise
be the shared memory area. As a first approximation you could just fire
up a standalone backend and see if it seems any faster.